The Zeigler Award is the most prestigious NASSM award and may only be bestowed on an individual once over the course of his/her career.
The nominee shall meet the following qualifications.
- Must be a NASSM member in good standing that has not previously received the Award.
- Must have a minimum of ten years of service as a teacher, supervisor, administrator, or combination of the above.
- Must have made significant contributions to the field in terms of scholarship, research, leadership, and peer recognition of his/her contributions.
- Must reflect those qualities demonstrated by Dr. Zeigler in the areas of student growth and development, leadership, service, scholarship, and collegiality.
- Must have made a significant contribution to the field of sport management.
The deadline for the NASSM Earle F. Zeigler Lecture is July 1. Information required for award nomination includes:
- Name of Nominee
- Name of Nominator
- Signature of Nominator
Completed nomination forms are to be emailed to the Member at Large appointed by the NASSM President. The current appointee is:
Dr. Melanie Sartore-Baldwin
East Carolina University
Individuals who accept their nomination will be asked to submit a vita and a two-page narrative describing their qualifications for the award. These items must be submitted no later than August 1.
NOTE: A specially-featured distinguished scholarly lecture is delivered regularly at the NASSM conference by a Earle F. Zeigler Lecture Award recipient. Subsequently, the lecture is printed in the Journal of Sport Management. Additional information regarding the Earle F. Zeigler Award can be found in the NASSM Operating Codes.
Past Earle F. Zeigler Lecture Award Winners
- James Zhang, University of Georgia
- George Cunningham, Texas A&M University
- Alison Doherty, Western University
- David Shilbury, Deakin University
- Karen Danylchuk, The University of Western Ontario
- Mary Hums, University of Louisville
- Lucie Thibault, Brock University
- Dan Mahony, University of Louisville
- Sue Inglis, McMaster University
- Laurence Chalip, University of Texas
- Wendy Frisby, University of British Columbia
- Jacquelyn Cuneen, Bowling Green State University
- Donna L. Pastore, The Ohio State University
- W. James Weese, University of Windsor
- Brenda G. Pitts, The Florida State University
- David K. Stotlar, University of Northern Colorado
- Dennis R. Howard, University of Oregon
- Garth Paton, University of New Brunswick
- Robert Boucher, University of Windsor
- Trevor Slack, University of Alberta
- Gordon Olafson, University of Windsor
- Joy T. DeSensi, University of Tennessee
- Janet Parks, Bowling Green State University
- Packianathan Chelladurai, The Ohio State University
- Earle F. Zeigler, Emeritus, University of Western Ontario