The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) is a specialized accrediting body that promotes and recognizes excellence in sport management education in colleges and universities at the baccalaureate and graduate levels worldwide (www.cosmaweb.org). Institutions, students, employers, and the general public all benefit from the external verification of quality provided through COSMA's accreditation process. They also benefit from the process of continuous quality improvement that is encouraged by COSMA's developmental approach to promoting excellence in sport management education.
COSMA was jointly established by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) and the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM) in July 2008. However, accreditation policy, processes, and decisions are conducted by the COSMA Board of Commissioners with no input or interference from NASPE and NASSM.
COSMA accreditation replaced program approval granted by the former Sport Management Program Review Council (SMPRC) which was in operation for more than 20 years. All approved programs under the SMPRC are no longer approved under that process. All programs are invited to join COSMA and begin the accreditation process.
Annual institutional memberships cost $1,800 and individual memberships cost $30 per year. The COSMA fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30 and applications are accepted year round.
COSMA is governed by a Board of Directors (BOD) that is comprised of five (5) members, at least two of whom come from the COSMA membership. The BOD normally meets once a year. The BOD provides general oversight of the affairs of COSMA such as setting and monitoring the effectiveness of policies and procedures, approval of the annual budget and contracts, monitoring membership recruitment and public relations, and adopting rules and regulations for the conduct of its business, among others.
Current Board of Directors (as of May 2014):
- Jay Gladden, IUPUI, Institutional Member - (3 year term, expires 2015)
- Jo Williams, University of Southern Maine, Institutional/Secretary Member - (4 year term, expires 2016)
- Kerrilyn Curtin, Madison Square Garden, Industry Member (3 year term, expires 2015)
- Gil Fried, University of New Haven, Finance Member (4 year term, expires 2016)
- Elizabeth Taylor, University of Tennessee, Student Member (2 year term, expires 2016)
- Current Chair of the Board of Commissioners (non-voting)
The Board of Commissioners (BOC) is comprised of nine (9) members of COSMA and normally meets twice a year. The BOC independently determines the accreditation status of an institution's sport management program.
Current Board of Commissioners (as of May 2014):
- Robertha Abney, Slippery Rock University (3 year term, expires 2016)
- Colleen Colles, Metropolitan State University of Denver (3 year term, expires 2017)
- Susan Foster, Saint Leo University (3 year term, expires 2016)
- Christopher Greenwell, University of Louisville (3 year term, expires 2016)
- Darlene Kluka, Barry University (3 year term, expires, 2016)
- Curt Laird, Wingate University (3 year term, expires 2017)
- Tim Newman, York College of Pennsylvania (3 year term, expires 2017)
- Robert Prior, Northeastern University (3 year term, expires 2015)
- Russell Scibetti, KORE Software (3 year term, expires 2016)